This post would be simple guide to placement preparation for hardware profile jobs.These information is based on what my batch-mates ,friends and me prepared for campus placements in IIT Kharagpur.But I am sure this is all what expected from Fresher for any VLSI recruitment.
- Always preparation begins with CV preparation and make it the best looking one and good Acads will help for VLSI jobs as design jobs require a good knowledge in area and of subject and how dedicated you are to technical studies than involving managerial works.
- Leadership qualities and taking initiatives do make good impression irrespective of Tech/Management job
- Start your preparation from standard books
- Be prepared with your GATE materials
- Good books to follow are Digital design by Rabey, CMOS circuits by Kang and Hodges : Must for digital design
- Design of Analog CMOS integrated circuits by Razavi is compulsory for Analog profile
- Also Analog electronics, solid state devices are required for Digital design as well but to UG level(GATE materials will do)
- Google out lots of VLSI interview questions available on internet and keep preparation on till you get placed , never be over confident after preparations
- Be thorough with Technical stuffs , aptitude can be answered on spot : good if you can make some preparation based on placement papers
- Solve interview puzzles (go through my Qualcomm interview for better idea on interview).Check a few here.
- Solve many placement papers from different VLSI companies
- Be thorough with VLSI basics and tricky questions can be easily solved if you are good at fundamentals
- Please read these two documents before placement preparation : Insight-09-Placement-Guide-IIT-Kanpur , TnPedia
- Topics need more focus in preparation
- Timing constraints in Digital design : Set up and hold time, clock skew , Rabey is the best one for this topic .Also check these files setup and hold time and Setup and Hold timings
- Pipeline and parallelism : Architectural design of ICs , Computer architecture fundamentals
- Kgpians check out this http://placements.scholarsavenue.org/
- Key points from Hodges , important topics from Rabey and Kang
- William Stallings for computer architecture specially Cache memory,arithmetic,Pipeline architecture (read about computer architecture preparation from Software job preparation section https://mobileelectron.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/placement-preparation-software-profile-jobs/ )
- Verilog and VHDL coding would be very helpful : Verilog basics compulsory
- Combinatorial blocks design, sequential circuit design , digital counters design from very basic steps compulsory
- Here is best material for counter design.. Building-Dividers-With-Flipflop
I try to keep more info available here: Will be updated as and when I find good things for you.
All the best..:)